Vice President of Engineering - tamme
Based in Sydney, Australia
Tamme is an ad-tech platform that balances supply and demand for double sided marketplaces that have a geographical element. For example, Deliveroo, Uber Eats etc need to make sure that they have the right ratio of riders to diners within a certain radius. If the ratio in an area isn't right then tamme makes sure that the perfect ads are showing in the right places in order to bring balance back to the marketplace. If everything is working perfectly then tamme tries to work out where it can expand to next, taking into account like for like suburbs and available channel reach everywhere around the world.
We value inclusion very highly. You will find no discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability status. We just care that you're good at your job.
Why we're interesting:
- We have had to build a Real Time Bidder component that has to be able to handle 1.4million requests per second. These requests need to be (end to end) < 100ms
- Most of our core processing is done using serverless.com on AWS Lambda.
- We have an analytics engine that ha to be able to consume and understand interactions between people, not just interactions a user has made on a webpage.
- Because we have to have similar infrastructure in multiple regions in the world we have had to build some of our own internal tools already to handle this, including:
- Nephelo, which is a layer on top of cloudformation to help build out the same infrastructure in multiple regions, through a CI pipeline
- FreeRange, allows our software to be able to locate our infrastructure without having to tell it what the exact address is, that way when things change in the infrastructure, the system is able to adapt
- Shadchanit, helps us make sure that the right applications are facing the outside world and that the system is always evolving to ensure that our users are receiving the fastest route possible.
- Yenta, which is a one way communication system from the middle out, that allows all of our edge locations to have the most up to date data available.
- All of our software sits on AWS infrastructure and we get to play with some of the cooler new toys that they're bringing out before the go on the market.
At our core our team are a family, we strongly and staunchly believe that to build the best products and make the largest difference we can we have to start by supporting our team first.
Test, Fail, Learn
We're constantly trying new things, some of it works, some of it doesn't. It's okay to not get it right, that means we learned something new, and that's invaluable.
Be up front, it's okay not to know, give feedback, take feedback and just be human. Honesty and openness are incredibly important to us.
Yep, we can all be a bit of a dick on occasion but if you're an arsehole, don't bother applying, you'll hate it here. We're a team, a unit, a family. At tamme we care about getting the job done, working as a team and we care about each other.
Every day we strive to be a bit better, in every aspect. We aim to nurture the growth of every member of the tamme team, and we strongly believe that if every day we help you get a bit better, you'll be able to make the product a bit better and that in turn will make the industry a bit better. It's important not to let perfect get in the way here, you don't have to be perfect, you just have to want to grow.
What we need you to do:
- As the Vice President of Engineering you would be responsible for helping to build and manage a team of 16 engineers across a couple of teams. As well as owning our entire agile (scrum) process.
- Hire, coach, manage and grow a diverse team of software engineers across five teams encompassing AI/Data Sci, DevOps, High Volume Data Consumption and Client Portals.
- Work with team leads to manage the planning, monitoring and retrospectives of sprints across all teams.
- Help build and improve our recruiting strategies to ensure that we're hiring top talent in an inclusive and culture-add way
- Continually assess and improve our processes for QA and team performance
- Work with the leadership team to assess and work on strategies to improve product performance, customer satisfaction and overall utility of tamme.
- Work to instil our core values across all members of your team
- Encourage and nurture curiosity while still ensuring that deliverables are met
- Assist team leads in coaching underperforming team members and finding new ways to nurture growth
- Closely monitor new team members to ensure that they have everything that they need to be an important part of the team.
- Own the engineering team's knowledge management system (confluence) and ensure that documentation is being written, retrospectives are being filed and any processes are being documented.
- Work with the team leads to approve and merge pull requests and give feedback to both team leads as well as engineers.
- Occasionally be hands on in the code to help meet deliverables
What we don't expect from you:
- You're no longer full time in the code, most of your time is about making people better not making the codebase better
- You're not sitting in the critical path
- You're not expected to be the only engineer on a startup team, or one of three that is set unrealistic goals
Who you're likely to be:
- You have to be curious yourself, insanely curious
- You thrive in an agile environment
- You've run agile (scrum) teams before, and are comfortable stretching for goals but also pushing back on stakeholders to protect the team
- You have experience working to deadlines
- You're very comfortable in python and have at least dabbled in a couple of the following:
- Random Forests
- Neural Nets
- Tensor Flow
- Ruby on Rails
- AWS Lambda
- You've most likely used bitbucket, jira and confluence
- You're comfortable with Slack and enjoy a good gif
- You have to have experience in managing to processes
- You are very comfortable with AWS and have experience adopting new features.
- You've led teams of more than 15 before
- You have experience recruiting high performing engineering teams
- You've run engineering outreach programs before
- You've coached and developed junior, mid and senior engineers before, it's a plus if the people you've coached have gone on to do amazing things.
- You've had experience with applications that have received > 1m QPS / RPS
What are the extra perks at tamme:
- Apart from working in an energising and vibrant startup team in the centre of one of the best cities in the world, you'll also get:
- A free Lynda.com account and a free Treehouse account so that you have access to courses across for almost all your interests.
- Free credit top ups every month into a kindle account so that you can get your reading on.
- A free Audible account that comes with your choice of a free audiobook every month in case that's your thing.
- You can enter into 'The Puzzle'; which is a monthly thought challenge, sometimes math based, sometimes code based, sometimes philosophical, where correct entries go in the draw to win prizes.
- You get your tamme hoodie/jacket as soon as you complete the ShipIt challenge, you have to build one app, widget, ChatBot that automates a task, either personal or professional, that was boring you in your day to day life.
- You get to take part in the monthly tamme team hack day.
- You can optionally take part in the tamme quarterly hack weekend.
- Our standups are at 9:30 in the morning, but breaky and coffee are provided, and there's a team lunch available every day.
If you're interested in getting started with tamme, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org